st: RE: Quantile regression runtimes

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: RE: Quantile regression runtimes
Date   Sat, 5 Jun 2010 21:28:37 +0200

<>

" on a very
large dataset (the Census' 2008 American Community Survey 1% samples)."

How large is the dataset exactly, Jacob? Remember, you cannot presume every
listmember is familiar with this dataset, even though in your profession it
may well be famous...

HTH
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
[mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Jacob Felson
Sent: Samstag, 5. Juni 2010 21:04
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: st: Quantile regression runtimes

I'm curious about the runtimes for quantile regression.  I am running
decile regressions (.1, .2, .3, .4, .5, .6, .7, .8, and .9) on a very
large dataset (the Census' 2008 American Community Survey 1% samples).
 Runtimes generally decrease as deciles increase:

Runtimes are in minutes

.1    74.27413
.2   34.95253
.3     13.1072
.4    8.738133
.5    8.738133
.6   4.369067
.7     6.5536
.8    8.738133

I'm very curious -- why is the runtime for .1 regression so much
higher than for .2?  And what might explain the general pattern of
these runtimes?

Thanks,

Jacob Felson
Assistant Professor