Re: st: Another method of squaring an instrumental variable

From   Nir Regev <>
Subject   Re: st: Another method of squaring an instrumental variable
Date   Sat, 5 Jun 2010 17:50:35 +0300

Hi Stas, Thank you for your answer.

I know I have a case of under-identification. I wish I had another
instrument but I don't.

The question is, maybe there is someway I can fix for the standard
errors of my forced "second stage".
What I am thinking is using the Variance of x,
meaning, Var(x) = E(x^2) - (E(x))^2, since I have two of the three,
maybe I can derive the right SE for x_hat^2 (This is just a hunch)
Alas, Econometrics is not my strongest point and I am looking for a
reference on this matter.

By the way, I ran the procedure I thought of and technically, it works.
It is not a case of perfect collinearity since squaring is non-linear.