Re: st: AW: AW: save two-way tables as a dataset

From   Hewan Belay <hewan_belay@yahoo.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: AW: AW: save two-way tables as a dataset
Date   Fri, 4 Jun 2010 14:27:31 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Martin and Nick,

Thanks for your response. It appears to be the case that there is no way to make the output of a two-way table directly appear in a dataset *the very way* it appears as stata output, without writing additional command lines to bring it into the desired shape.

There are various reasons I had wanted this to be the case:

1) To calculate the kind of ratios I described--Martin, you're right this can still, be done with the additional command lines such as what you proposed below

2) to take the table (if it could be made to look like the way the stata output of the twoway table does) with the resulting ratios and immediately (without much fuss) bring it into some word processing application--for that Martin your solution wouldn't work

Nick, -contract- works for counts/frequencies but not for means. -collapse- would do, but I would need to redo my many (many!) command lines which use -table-.

So I'll go with Martin's suggestion to the person who asked about this w.r.t. one-way tables, i.e. add the -replace- option to -table-, and then do further manipulations a la Martin's below example. A pity though, it would have been wonderful if there were a way to make stata simply go ahead and put a table into a datset the very way it appears on the stata output window...

Best,
Hewan