st: RE: RE: RE: RE: error messages while using the stgest command

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: RE: error messages while using the stgest command
Date   Thu, 3 Jun 2010 11:01:03 +0100

That won't fix the error I am guessing at, for two reasons:

1. Whatever -version- Victor declares in a .do file is moot given the
internals of -stgest-.

2. Using -version- will not make -version 7: graph- understand the
options of -version 8: graph-. That the syntaxes are in part identical
is just a linguistic coincidence.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Martin Weiss

Could Victor set -vers 7.0- at the top of his do-file to make this work,
then?

Nick Cox

It's indeed difficult to add to Martin's diagnosis of the first error
because, although meticulous about other details, Victor omitted to
specify exactly what he typed. But the graph call in question

graph z psi if z<2.5&z>-2.5, yline(-1.96, 0, 1.96) xlab ylab
xline(`gestl', `gest', `gestu') `options'

is under Stata 7 syntax (in Stata 8 up documented under -graph7-). Here
`options' is, or should be, whatever graph options Victor typed on his
command line. Any attempt to add options for the graphics introduced in
Stata 8 is likely to produce an error message.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Martin Weiss

The second error occurs because -gesttowb- is looking for results left
behind by a Weibull estimation. If you have not run this estimation
previously, the macros that -gesttowb- is trying to multiply do not
exist.
The example code "geststb.do" delivered with the package runs without a
hitch for me, btw, and executes -gesttowb- repeatedly.

The first error does have something to do with the -graph- command on
line
304 of -stgest.ado-, though the problem is difficult to track down.

Victor Mauricio Herrera

I wonder if anyone could shed light on the following. I consistently get
two
error messages while using the stgest command (Stata Journal 2002,
2(2):164-182) in Stata/MP 11.0.  The first one happens after the causal
survival ratio is reported:

                "Note - these estimates should be confirmed with an
                  interval bisection search by omitting the step option
                  option ( not allowed
                  r(198);"

I guess this has something to do with the instructions to graph the
psi-by-z
graph.

The second error occurs when using gesttowb:

                 gesttowb
                 g-estimated hazard ratio *:  operator invalid
                 r(198);

My versions of these programs are:

                   which gesttowb
                   c:\ado\plus\g\gesttowb.ado
                   *! Version 1.0         (SJ2-2: st0014)
                   which stgest
                   c:\ado\plus\s\stgest.ado
                   *! version 5.5 JACS/KT g-estimation, June 2002
(SJ2-2:
st0014)