AW: st: Binary Variables

Subject   AW: st: Binary Variables
Date   Wed, 2 Jun 2010 18:53:14 +0200

<>

This is an inefficient way to generate dummies. You could simply add -i.REGION- to your regress call, and Stata would do the work for you. Or expand via -xi-, as dicussed in another thread today.

- generate SchleswigHolstein=REGION == 1- gets you to a true dummy in one step, should you still wish to create them yourself.

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Natalie Trapp
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 2. Juni 2010 18:42
An: [email protected]
Betreff: Re: st: Binary Variables

Thank you very much to all of you for helping me!!

Well, I will try explain the problem again:
First I generated the dummy variables:

.sort region
.encode region, generate (REGION)

. *SchleswigHolstein
. generate SchleswigHolstein= REGION if REGION == 1
(43657 missing values generated)
. replace SchleswigHolstein=0 if SchleswigHolstein== .
(43657 real changes made)

.
. *Saarland
. generate Saarland= REGION if REGION == 2
(43918 missing values generated)
. replace Saarland=1 if Saarland== 2
(119 real changes made)

Then, I regressed the models:

. reg fertilisers_Var Saarland Brandenburg MeckPomm Sachsen
SachsenAnhalt Thueringen IleDeFrance Champagne Picardie HauteNormandie
Centre BasseNormandie Bourgogne NordPasDeCalais LorraineAlsace
FrancheComte PaysDeLaLoire Bretagne PoitouCharentes Aquitaine
MidiPyrenees Limousin RhonesAlpes Auvergne LanguedocRoussillon
ProvenceAlpesCote Corse ValleDAoste Piemonte Lombardia Trentino
AltoAdige Veneto FriuliVenezia Liguria EmiliaRomagna Toscana Marche
Umbria Lazio Abruzzo Niedersachsen Molise Campania Calabria Puglia
Basilicata Sicilia Sardegna Belgium Vlaanderen Wallonie Luxembourg
Netherlands Denmark Ireland EnglandNorth EnglandEast EnglandWest Wales
Scotland NorthernIreland MakedoniaThraki IpirosPeoponissos Thessalia
StereaEllas NRW Galicia Asturias Cantabria PaisVasco Navarra LaRioja
Aragon Cataluna Baleares CastillaLeon Madrid CastillaLaMancha Valencia
Murcia Extremadura Andalucia Canarias Hessen EntreDouroEMinho
TrasOsMontes RibatejoEOeste AlentejoEDoAlgarve Acores Austria EtelaSuomi
SisaSuomi PohjanmaaRheinlandPfalz PohjoisSuomi Slattbygdslan
SkogsOchMellan LanINorra Czech Estonia KoezepMagyarorszag KoezepDunantul
NyugatDunantul DelDunantul EszakMagyarorszag EszakAlfoeld DelAlfoeld
Latvia Lithuiana PomorzeAndMazury WielkopolskaAndSlask
MazowszeAndPodlasie BadenWuerttemberg MalopolskaAndPogorze Slovakia
Slovenia Bayern ClimateVariables Oats Barley Rye Wine *(and many more
Crops and Variables)*

@ Steve: The omitted regions do change, when I change the independent
variables. And I do have the same problem with some other binary
variables like farmsizes and farmtypes.

There are no missing data for the regions and I can most certainly say
that each farm in this dataset has a different value for the fertiliser
input because it's measured in €.

I also thought the regions cannot be similar, because they have
different temperatures, soil qualities, precipitation rates and so on.
Therefore the South of France must be different from the North of Germany.

I also couldn't sort out how to make the "xtreg" command work. It gives
me the error "not sorted r(5);", even when I sorted the data and then
typed the "xtreg" command (maybe because there are too many variables or
maybe because I have cross sectional data?!).

Thank you very much once again for your patience and kind assistance,
Natalie.