st: Problem with xi (Stata 11)

From   Walter Garcia-Fontes <>
To   Statalist <>
Subject   st: Problem with xi (Stata 11)
Date   Wed, 2 Jun 2010 14:47:06 +0200

I have a problem with the "xi" command in Stata 11 (completely updated
as of today). I tried to create a dataset as simple as possible to
reproduce the problem, which can be accessed from my server. In the
dataset there is a single variable called COUNTRY with numeric codes
for each country and labels identifying the country.

There are 12 different values for COUNTRY (12 different countries) and
79155 observations with a variable number of observations for each country.
To reproduce:

webuse set
webuse data/data.dta

Stata creates variables _ICOUNTRY_n as it should, where n are the
different codes for the 12 countries, omitting the country with the
smallest code.

The problem is that some of the values of _ICOUNTRY are 0 when they
shouldn't be, for instance I have cases where _ICOUNTRY_56 = 0 but
COUNTRY = 56. This happens randomly for a few cases and I've looked at
it from all angles but couldn't figure out what is going on.

If I reduce the number of variables or the number of observations the
problem  disappears at some point, can't tell exactly when, so I'm
providing the smallest example I could build.

Walter Garcia-Fontes
Departament d'Economia i Empresa -
Universitat Pompeu Fabra