st: problems with browsing, dropping certain observations

From   Michael Findley <[email protected]>
Subject   st: problems with browsing, dropping certain observations
Date   Mon, 31 May 2010 05:58:40 -0600

Dear Stata list:

I'm puzzled about what seems to be a simple formatting issue. I import a .csv file with variables that range from .001 to .009. I can carry out certain commands, such as generate a new variable that has similar values, but I cannot perform other simple tasks such as "browse if variable == .001" or "keep if variable == .001". The variable is formatted as a float (%9.0g), which is a general format that should allow this as I understand it. I was worried that importing the data caused the problem, but when I just open stata and enter similar values, I get the same thing. I also tried reformatting the variable to several different fixed formats, but still no luck. What am I missing? Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Mike Findley