RE: st: AW: AW: Display Variable Labels

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   RE: st: AW: AW: Display Variable Labels
Date   Thu, 27 May 2010 17:30:46 +0100

-_crcslbl- is an non-documented command to copy one variable label to another.

CRC was the first name for the company that now is StataCorp. "slbl" is evidently "same label". (The 8.3 filename.ext limit of DOS bit hard on early command names.)

Despite the lack of a help, the source code is instructive and sufficient.

*! version 1.1.0  19dec1998
program define _crcslbl	/* varname varname */
	version 6
	args dst src
	local w : variable label `src'
	if `"`w'"' == "" {
		local w "`src'"
	}
	label variable `dst' `"`w'"'
end

Thus the syntax is

_crcslbl fromvariable tovariable

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Martin Weiss

" What if I now want to copy the variable label from of pwvssn to a
variable called zpwvssn?"

Let`s give "weight" the -var label- of "mpg":

sysuse auto, clear
d mpg weight
la var weight "`: var l mpg'"
d mpg weight

You can also do things like -clonevar- which copies everything else as well.

Raphael Fraser

Thank you.

pwvssn is just one of 52 variables.

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Martin Weiss <martin.weiss1@gmx.de> wrote:

> BTW, Raphael, what kind of a -varlist- is "pwvssn" in your example? Does
it
> expand to more than one variable?

Martin Weiss

> See -help extended_fcn-: