st: RE: RE: RE: How to perform a non parametric manova

From   "Hoffman, George" <ghoffman@mcw.edu>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: How to perform a non parametric manova
Date   Wed, 26 May 2010 13:14:36 -0500

Highly reliably so!

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 9:31 AM
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: st: RE: RE: How to perform a non parametric manova

Sounds good advice, don't you think?

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Hoffman, George

Nick Cox replied to a similar question (how to make manova valid on data
with non-parametric distributions) a few years back as follows:

"I find some inconsistency in this request. After all, what would a
non-parametric MANOVA look like except something like a MANOVA, except
that your data have been transformed to ranks? If you are happy to
reduce your data to ranks, why cavil at some other transformation, which
typically would lose less information?

Further, my visceral instinct is that MANOVA is more robust to
non-normality than people fear.

More positively, if this were my problem, I might do

1. MANOVA on original data
2. MANOVA on rank-transformed data

If the conclusions were substantively similar, stop there. Otherwise,
consider what specific transformations were advisable.

amatoallah ouchen

Does anyone have an idea about how to perform a non parametric manova?
an equivalent of the kruskal wallis test for anova?