RE: st: extract hours, minutes and seconds from date

From   Nick Cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   RE: st: extract hours, minutes and seconds from date
Date   Fri, 21 May 2010 11:38:32 +0100

I guess Maarten is being bitten by precision here. By default he is getting just -float-s for the later -generate-s. Use -double-s throughout.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Maarten buis

--- On Fri, 21/5/10, raoul reulen wrote:
> I have a date variable that looks like this:
>
> 30dec1999 08:50:00
>
> and I want to extract the hour, minutes, and seconds part
> of it

I thought I had an answer, but in my case the minutes and
seconds part seems to be slightly off (49 minutes instead of
50, and 38 seconds instead of 0):

*---------------- begin example ------------------
clear
drop _all
set obs 1
gen double time = clock("30dec1999 08:50:00", "DMYhms")
format time %tc
list
gen hour = hhC(time)
gen minute = mmC(time)
gen sec = ssC(time)
list

Maybe somebody else can explain where these differences
come from.