st: Stata 11: xstata via ssh with X forwarding - some aspects are sluggish

From   Dave Ewart <davee@ceu.ox.ac.uk>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Stata 11: xstata via ssh with X forwarding - some aspects are sluggish
Date   Thu, 20 May 2010 10:21:21 +0100

Dear all,

We have a big, fast Linux server which is where Stata is installed.
Users connect to this server from Windows, and run xstata with X
forwarding (that is, PuTTY and XMing are used from Windows).

We recently upgraded from Stata 10 to Stata 11 and found that some
aspects of the Stata GUI (particuarly the data browser) behave
extrememly sluggishly when Stata is used in our usual manner.

The GUI sluggishness persists when running xstata with X forwarding from
a *Linux* workstation.  Therefore, I don't believe our problems arise
due to our choice (or configuration) of PuTTY or XMing.

Running xstata locally on the Linux server itself does not show any of
the sluggishness; and nor does it when temporarily reverting to a Stata
10 installation.

The network between workstations and the server is very fast and
relatively quiet, so I don't believe that network congestion is to
blame, unless it's caused directly by Stata 11 and not caused by Stata
10.

Any thoughts here?

Dave.

--