st: left right string

From   Tyler Frazier <>
Subject   st: left right string
Date   Tue, 18 May 2010 23:03:19 +0200

simple question, I hope -- I have a variable which is a range of ages,
for example  the variable name is hhh_age and the quantities are
15-19, 20-24, 25-39 etc...

and I want to generate a new variable (age_min) that returns the left
two characters from hhh_age , and another variable that generates the
right two -- (age_max)

I searched but couldnt find it, seems like a very simple thing, but
cant figure it out.

any help is greatly appreciated