st:reshape command ---listing all the variables changing over time?

From   Amanda Fu <mandy.fu1@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st:reshape command ---listing all the variables changing over time?
Date   Thu, 13 May 2010 15:56:57 -0400

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem I met when
using --reshape--command.

When I tried to reshape a data set from long version to wide version,
I find I  need to list all the variables that are not constant in the
--reshape--command. Suppose the data set has 1500 variables changing
over time and 100 constant variables.
. reshape wide x1-x1500, i(id) j(wave)
If I miss any of the variables changing over time, the reshape command
will give error message such as "variable XXXX not constant " and will
stop working.  But it is so frustrating to separate the constant
variables and not-constant variables and list all of the latter ones
in the reshape command.

What I used to do is just to drop all the unnecessary variables from
the data set before reshape to reduce the work load here.

May I know if there is any more efficient way to deal with this problem?

Thanks for your time!

Sincerely,
Mandy