st: RE: RE: RE: Stata stuck in loop with -rndpoi-?

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: Stata stuck in loop with -rndpoi-?
Date   Thu, 13 May 2010 15:48:16 +0100

What I said in 2003 still holds.

Martin Weiss

Also note Nick`s advice at, though
may have changed materially in the meantime...

Karen Wright

Unfortunately my IT department has a problem with letting us upgrade
they have to perform it and do not want to - which is why I was trying
to do
it without the ugrade.  Thank you, I shall just have to pester them

>>> "Martin Weiss" <> 13/05/2010 14:59:48 >>>

You could just upgrade for free to Stata 10.1, and use the -rpoisson()-

Karen Wright

I am attempting to generate 10000 random number based on a poisson
distribution with mean from my data, using -rndpoi- (from ssc).
I seem to encounter a problem when the mean is greater than 700.  Would
anyone be able to help me, either with an alternative method of
the figures I need, or what I am currently doing wrong?

*this works:
rndpoi 10000 694.5
*this doesn't:
rndpoi 10000 710
I am currently using Stata 10.0 on Windows.