st: paired t-test and clustering

From   "Airey, David C" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: paired t-test and clustering
Date   Wed, 12 May 2010 19:07:31 -0500

.

The paired t-test is a t-test that the difference between the two score is zero. If you think of your difference measure as your trait, and remind yourself that families resemble each other more within families than between randomly selected families (genetics and shared environment), then the difference may be more alike within family, or clustered by family. So one family may be less likely to show change than another, for example, or the pretest/baseline may cluster regardless of the test effect. You could run -loneway- on your subject different scores by family, say those that have 2 or more subjects per family, -loneway diff family-, and look at the intraclass correlation coefficient and whether it is significantly different from 0. But I would not do this as a litmus to then do a t-test that allows for clustering, as your clustering test may be underpowered to detect it but it may nonetheless affect your ttest. Better to acknowledge biology and your design. There is al!
 so a clustered t-test available at ssc: -cltest-, in addition to the suggestion already made.