st: RE: AW: RE: AW: RE: Correct labeling in egenmore axis()?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: AW: RE: AW: RE: Correct labeling in egenmore axis()?
Date   Wed, 12 May 2010 10:48:52 +0100

If you look back at my first posting in this thread, you will see that my mention of -egen, axis()- was clearly (a) embedded in a discussion labelled as wider-ranging than your question, (b) labelled as "some technique", not necessarily an answer to your question and (c) in response to your mention of sorting on means in your first post.

But I don't know why you still talk about sorting on means, as all your recent code examples clearly show attempts to sort subsets by categorical variable.

Either way, the original example of -egen, axis()- evidently does not do what you want, so you shouldn't use or copy it literally.

To the present: "does not work as I expect it should work" is not something I can say much in response to. I am in meetings almost all today, but I will send you my version of _gaxis.ado (1.0.2) to see if we can make progress off-list.

Kaulisch, Marc

Nick,

With including mean1 I followed your suggestion from your first answer (see http://stata.com/statalist/archive/2010-05/msg00338.html) and the help file in order to sort categories by their means. And it seems in this combination (with two grouping categories) the labelling with axis does not work as I would expect it should work. Option Reverse does not change the picture - at least here....

Marc