AW: st: WG: xtreg command and two-way fixed o random effect model

From   "Kerstin Oriold" <kerstin.oriold@exes.co.at>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   AW: st: WG: xtreg command and two-way fixed o random effect model
Date   Mon, 10 May 2010 07:21:48 +0200

Dear Mr. Jacobs,

thanks a lot for your very helpful response !

With best wishes,

Kerstin Oriold

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
[mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] Im Auftrag von David Jacobs
Gesendet: Sonntag, 09. Mai 2010 21:44
An: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Betreff: Re: st: WG: xtreg command and two-way fixed o random effect model

To get two-way fixed effects in official Stata,
one must add the year dummies.  This is easily
done in Stata 11 with an term like: -i.year-
assuming that "year' is the variable name for your
time variable.  In Stata 8, a separate command
like: -tabulate year, gen(yrdum)- will provide
permanent dummies for time with "yrdum" being the
stub name for each of the separate dummy
variables for each of the periods in your data set.

Although the econometrically sophisticated
probably can provide work-arrounds, it is not
possible to automatically include random effects
for time in the -xtreg- routines.  Others,
however, may know of user-written programs that do this.

Both year fixed-effects and random-effects can
are readily provided in the econometrics package
called EViews, and probably (although I can't
remeber for sure) in another econometrics package called Limdep.

David Jacobs