st: AW: copydesc with a twist??

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: AW: copydesc with a twist??
Date   Fri, 7 May 2010 18:23:41 +0200

-ssc d copydesc- looks like old code to me, although it may well serve a
useful purpose, and only got like 35 hits last month. It is # 66 on Nick`s
hit list (-ssc hot, auth(cox) n(66)-), but no discussion related to it has
been recorded in the archive since the end of 2003. That could be because
official -clonevar- can do its job more efficiently. Since Nick is the
author of the official command as well, there might be a connection there...

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
[] Im Auftrag von Ploutz-Snyder,
Robert (JSC-SK)[USRA]
Gesendet: Freitag, 7. Mai 2010 17:37
Betreff: st: copydesc with a twist??

I'm looking for a quick way to copy variable labels from a set of variables
(ex. x1-x100) to a set of new variables (ex. a1-a100), but I need a minor
modification of the new labels.

Nicholas' copydesc command comes very close, as I can imbed it in a loop as:

For J in num 1/100: copydesk xJ aJ

But here's the rub.  In this case all of the aJ variables are a
transformation of xJ.  I'd like the transformation to become part of the
variable label too.

Here are two variables as a specific example:

              storage  display     value
variable name   type   format      label      variable label
x2              float  %8.0g                  HeadGy
a2              float  %9.0g                  abs(x2)

I would LIKE the label for a2 to be "abs(HeadGy)"  not "abs(x2)".  I have a
zillion of these, so I don't want to hand-code them all...

Anyone know of an ado already written to do this?  Or a way to use

Much appreciated,