st: RE: RE: a reminder of how to get confused

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: RE: RE: a reminder of how to get confused
Date   Wed, 5 May 2010 20:38:43 +0200

<>

Still accessible at http://www.stata.com/products/stb/journals/stb9.pdf

HTH
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
[mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: Mittwoch, 5. Mai 2010 20:22
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: st: RE: a reminder of how to get confused

Some of us learned from your (shortest?) paper how to exclude missings
easily:

STB-9   ip2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  A keyboard
shortcut
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  P. A.
Lachenbruch
        9/92    p.9; STB Reprints Vol 2, p.46                    (no
commands)
        keyboard shortcut to indicate nonmissing values

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Lachenbruch, Peter

I should have known better.  I computed the median with sum and with
centile on some data (they gave the same answer! Whew!).  Then I tried
count if x>the median.  With 410 observations I should have had 205
values but it came out as 227.
After puzzling for a couple of minutes I realized that I need to account
for the missing in the count - problem solved.

I know this has been mentioned before on this list, but it's something
that we should keep in mind anyway.