st: Need help with -collapse- or a better solution

From   Reifschneider Harry III <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Need help with -collapse- or a better solution
Date   Fri, 30 Apr 2010 20:36:58 -0700

Statalisters,

Stata/IC 10.1 for Macintosh
Born 01 Oct 2009

I need help with -collapse-. I am a grad student and thus just learning this software (and this is my first post), so please be gentle!

I have 8 years of data which are broken out into 1 year snapshots, so 8 observations max for each person. I need to find a "change" in a test score (afqtscore for this example, but there are 5 total). Not all the observations have a change and thus I am only concerned with those that do change. The -help collapse- command talks about percentiles, means, etc., but I need the actual change, e.g. years 1-4 score is 50 and in year 5 the score changed to 60 and then remains that way for the duration of the sample. I am looking at the probability of an increase/decrease in the score and the magnitude of change and need to know if there is a change and also the amount. Further more, I am only interested in the demographics (gender, age,marital status, etc.) at the time of the "updated" or newer score. Same thing goes for "civilianeduclevelcode1" . Can someone show me an example of the code to write to get at this requirement? If my description of the problem is lacking, I am sorry and can try better. Thanks and have a great weekend!

seqnumber is the "snapshot" of the fiscal year

uniqID afqtscore seqnumber primarymos maritalstatuscode civilianeduclevelcode1
A17082		42			199			9900		S					12
A17082		42			211			341			M					12
A17082		48			223			341			M					12
A17082		48			235			341			M					12