Re: st: Explaining Gamma coefficient after bioprobit command

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Explaining Gamma coefficient after bioprobit command
Date   Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:21:27 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Thu, 29/4/10, Telli Anvernali Henry wrote:
> I am using the command bioprobit for my bivariate ordered
> probit regressions and I wondered if anybody can help me
> with an explanation for the estimated gamma beyond just
> the sign. I know rho measures the correlation of the error
> terms while gamma measure the actual relationship between
> equation 1 and 2 but apart from the sign of the gamma
> coefficient what can I say about the impact of the coefficient
> itself and does it matter that gamma and rho have opposite
> signs? For instance if gamma is 0.64, what can I say apart
> from "there is a strong positive correlation between depvar1
> and depvar2".

-bioprobit- is a user written command, the Statalist FAQ askes
you to say where you got it from. This is crucial because there
are often multiple versions of a user written program floating
around cyber space. This appears to be the problem here, as
my version (downloaded from SSC by typing in Stata
-ssc install bioprobit-) does not return a gamma coefficient,
so there is nothing to interpret.

-- Maarten

. which bioprobit
*! version 1.11  17Aug2007