Re: st: pweight question

Subject   Re: st: pweight question
Date   Thu, 29 Apr 2010 20:37:12 -0400

I have other problems with these scaled weights.

First, if they are all you have, it is difficult to  identify  weights
that  are too  small. (Ken Brewer, Combined Survey Sampling Inference,
Wiley, p. 133).

Second, with these scaled weights one cannot recover the original ones
without information on the total, and the information is not always
available. In fact, for some samples, the population total isn't known
and the only estimate is based on the original probability weights.

Third, I wonder about the accuracy of the scaled weights.  If n is
moderate and  the sampling fraction is small, most of the significant
figures could be far to the right of the decimal place.

Finally, these weights just lead to confusion on the part of people
who were not in on their construction. The original poster was
confused on this occasion, and I was confused on another last year.

Steve

--
Steven Samuels
[email protected]