RE: st: non-normal residual

From   "Ploutz-Snyder, Robert (JSC-SK)[USRA]" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: non-normal residual
Date   Thu, 29 Apr 2010 13:33:36 -0500

Right...

And having said all of that... the law of large numbers works... with large numbers!  we have SMALL n.  So then, can we "trust" that if we do have normally distributed residuals, (implying betas are too) but not y's and/or one or more x's, are we still ok?  Homoscedasticity must be tested also, and by independence I assume you refer to collinearity problems.  But passing the usual there, I am operating under the assumption that our results are trustworthy even if y's and some X's are not normally distributed, as long as the host of diagnostic plots focusing mainly on residuals and blups look ok.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Feiveson, Alan H. (JSC-SK311)
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2010 1:27 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: st: non-normal residual

Yes, in a nutshell, all that matters for proper inference in large samples is whether the parameter estimates (regression coefficients, etc) can be considered approximately normally distributed with the appropriate standard errors as their standard deviations. For the most common types of analyses, the parameter estimates tend to be normal as the sample size increases for most (but not all!) distributions that the residuals might have, but the estimates of their standard errors might not be correct if other model assumptions (such as independence or homoscedasticity) do not hold.

Al Feiveson