Re: st: piece-wise logistic regression

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: piece-wise logistic regression
Date   Thu, 29 Apr 2010 01:38:47 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Thu, 29/4/10, Bruno Schoumaker wrote:
> It notably explains how stepwise regression can be used to
> determine the number of knots and their location. Not
> foolproof, but very useful when no clear idea about the
> number and location of knots.

A similar but slightly different approach is to use the
same algoritm used by -fracpoly- and -mfp. A recent
discussion of that algorithm, with an application to
restricted cubic splines can be found in Royston and
Sauerbrei (2007), but I can see no reason why this could
not be applied to linear splines.

Hope this helps,

Patrick Royston and Willi Sauerbrei (2007) "Multivariable
modeling with cubic regression splines: A principled
approach" The Stata Journal, 7(1):45--70.

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen
Wilhelmstrasse 36