st: AW: range of a stringvariable

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: AW: range of a stringvariable
Date   Wed, 28 Apr 2010 16:13:27 +0200

You have to get a little creative for this one:

input str5 code

gen letter=substr(code,1,1)
gen remainder=substr(code,2,5)
gen byte hasA=substr(remainder,4,4)=="A" if length(remainder)==4
split remainder, parse(A)
list if letter=="E" & inrange(real(remainder1),300,499)

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
[] Im Auftrag von Tomas Lind
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 28. April 2010 16:03
Betreff: st: range of a stringvariable

Dear listers

Choose individuals based on a string variable with a range of values

I am working with ICD-10 codes (codes for different types of diseases). The
codes start with a letter A - Z followed by 2 or 3 digits. In some cases
they might end with the letter A. Say that I have a dataset with 5 subjets
(id=1 to 5) with these ICD-10 codes (fake data, in reality I have millions
of subjects):

I460  E343  I46  C764  E438

How can I choose individuals with ICD-10 codes in the range E300 to E499
(not including codes that end up with A). What about if I want to include
codes that ends with an A. (There is a convenient command for ICD-9 codes,
but not for ICD-10 codes.)

Any suggestions are welcome.