RE: st: RE: How can I append tabout output in Excel using logout?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: How can I append tabout output in Excel using logout?
Date   Wed, 28 Apr 2010 14:38:07 +0100

This is rather odd code. The outer loop is

foreach y in trunk weight {

}

But `y' is never referred to inside the loop. That's legal, but the effect is presumably just to do the same thing twice.

Furthermore, the guts of the matter are equivalent to

tabstat mpg, stat(n mean median p25 p75 min max) by(foreign)

which, as you can see, is precisely one line. In other words, you don't need to repeat -tabstat- calls for different values of -foreign-,  because -tabstat- will do that unaided.

As the results all go in a simple single table, there does not seem much, if any, need for an extra hierarchy of setting up log files and of calling programs to manipulate log files -- not that logging this and/or copying it elsewhere is ruled out in any sense.

I know that you don't want to do precisely this, but something similar with your data, but some drastic economy should also be possible with your real problem if this is the coding style.

This is more than a matter of style, as there seems to be plenty of evidence that people could save many hours of writing complicated code by a few hours of reading the documentation carefully and finding out about simpler ways of doing things.

sara khan

Thank you all for responses.

I find formatting tables easier to do in Excel.

Roy Wada, the author of -logout- offered the following solution, which
worked for me:

* drop frivolous rows
sysuse auto, clear
local append replace
foreach y in trunk weight {
  forv s=0/1 {
   qui su mpg if foreign==`s'
   if r(N)!=0{
    caplog using logfile, `append': tabstat mpg if foreign==`s' ,
stat(n mean median p25 p75 min max )
    local append append
   }
  }
}
logout, clear use(logfile)
drop if t1=="variable" & _n~=1
logout, save(test_together) excel replace

* keep them
sysuse auto, clear
local append replace
foreach y in trunk weight {
  forv s=0/1 {
   qui su mpg if foreign==`s'
   if r(N)!=0{
    caplog using logfile, `append': tabstat mpg if foreign==`s' ,
stat(n mean median p25 p75 min max )
    local append append
   }
  }
}
logout, use(logfile) save(test_together) excel replace