Re: st: Multiplying variables / Generating new variables after 'mi impute' - STATA 11

Subject   Re: st: Multiplying variables / Generating new variables after 'mi impute' - STATA 11
Date   Wed, 28 Apr 2010 03:40:44 -0400

Bottom line: you must NOT multiply imputed variables, but you must
impute the product of variables as well as the individual terms,

Steve
On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 3:00 AM, Moses Lee <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi STATA listers.
>
> I'm wondering if any if you could advise the following.
>
> I need to perform production function regression. This requires 2 stage.
>
> 1) Impute missing variables
> 2) Generate new variables - by multiplying two existing variables after
> imputing missing variables.
>
> I have tried running 'mi impute mvn' command. However, I realised the
> imputed values do not replace the missing values in the original variables.
> This becomes a problem if I need to estimate new variables which require a
> product of the original variables.
>
> An example: X and Y are variables that require imputing. After running the
> mi impute command, I need to 'gen (newvar)=X*Y. However, if the missing
> values in the existing X and Y are not replaced with the imputed values, I'm
> unable to generate a new variable.
>
> Can someone advise on how to replace missing values with imputed values? It
> seems impossible to generate new vars with the estimated imputed values.
>
> Many thanks.
> Moses
>
> *
> *   For searches and help try: