Re: st: RE: Graphing the median of a list of variables

From   Jeremy Voros <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Graphing the median of a list of variables
Date   Tue, 27 Apr 2010 14:55:47 -0400

-collapse- looks like it might be the tool I'm looking for. But, the data I have are self-assessments of competency in a variety of areas. The mean increases as the year increases. I'm trying to devise a method of visualizing the responses to all the questions improving over time. Putting the year along the x-axis would require a separate graph line for each question, of which I have approximately 50, which is too many for such a graph.

-grmeanby- is useful too, but it also will only summarize data for a single variable.

I'm thinking if I could turn my column variables into row values I'd be able to get what I want. So I could have a table like so:

|   question   |   median_1999   |   median_2001   |   etc, for each year
|      1       |       2         |       3         |
|      2       |       4         |       5         |

then the line graph would be trivial.

I might need to consider another visualization method.

And thanks for the suggestion on the mean.

-- Jeremy