Re: st: xtfrontier vs xtreg, re mle

From   Scott Merryman <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: xtfrontier vs xtreg, re mle
Date   Mon, 26 Apr 2010 19:34:38 -0500

Both are random effects models - one estimated using gls the other by
maximum likelihood.  The maximum likelihood approach involves making
stronger distributional assumptions for the u_{i} : half normal or
truncated normal.

Kumbhakar and Lovell (2000) "Stochastic Frontier Analysis" briefly
discuss whether or not the results are sensitive to the method of
estimation.  They concluded (for time invariant models) the approaches
(fixed effects, random effects, or maximum likelihood) generate
similar efficiency rankings.

Scott