st: RE: Variable Creation

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: RE: Variable Creation
Date   Mon, 26 Apr 2010 19:36:20 +0100

gen site = substr(sitecode,3,3)

Put real() around the RHS if you want the number.

help functions

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

drreg@earthlink.net

I have a partial listing of the following variable, formatted as str9:

sitecode
--------
37087M022
37087M022
37173M035
37173M035
370810009
370810009
370810009
370810009
370810009
370810009
370810009
370870035
370870035
370870035
370870035
370870035

I would like to create an additional variable, site, as follows: site = xxx if sitecode = 37xxxyyyy. Site is the 3rd, 4th, and 5th characters of sitecode. I don't know how to do this, and what's more frustrating, I don't even know what to input in order to use help.