st: RE: test for trend of an ordinal predictor

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: RE: test for trend of an ordinal predictor
Date   Mon, 26 Apr 2010 15:53:55 +0100

A basic graphical comparison of distributions for the three categories
is also essential. -dotplot- or -stripplot- (SSC) will help, for
example.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Georgia

I am fitting a regression model with a normally distributed outcome (y)
and an ordinal variable in 3 levels (x) as predictor. Obviously, when I
use the command

xi: regress y i.x

I get separate coefficients for the second and the third level of the
predictor while the first level is treated as reference. However, I
would be very interested in testing the trend of the ordinal variable.
In such a case, do I simply treat my ordinal var as a continuous one by
typing

regress y x

or is there  a better way to test the trend of x? I would appreciate any

help on this.