st: test for trend of an ordinal predictor

From   Georgia <>
Subject   st: test for trend of an ordinal predictor
Date   Mon, 26 Apr 2010 13:31:03 +0100

Hi there,

I am fitting a regression model with a normally distributed outcome (y) and an ordinal variable in 3 levels (x) as predictor. Obviously, when I use the command

xi: regress y i.x

I get separate coefficients for the second and the third level of the predictor while the first level is treated as reference. However, I would be very interested in testing the trend of the ordinal variable. In such a case, do I simply treat my ordinal var as a continuous one by typing

regress y x

or is there a better way to test the trend of x? I would appreciate any help on this.