st: Unpublicized changes to Saved Results for -reshape-

From   Roger Newson <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Unpublicized changes to Saved Results for -reshape-
Date   Mon, 26 Apr 2010 13:08:02 +0100

Fellow Statalisters (especially StataCorp):

I have noticed some recent unpublicized changes to the Saved Results for the -reshape- command (see -help reshape-). In my Stata 11.0 (which I updated today to the sub-version dated 20 April 2010), the -reshape- command produces a selection of returned dataset characteristics that is different from the selection advertized in -help reshape-. In particular, if I use -reshape wide-, then the advertized result -_dta[ReS_jv]- (containing the values of the variable specified by the -j()- option) is no longer stored. On the other hand, if the variable specified by the -j()- option had a value label, then -reshape- saves the unpublicized results -_dta[__JValLabName]-, containing the name of the value label, and -_dta[__JValLab]-, containing the values of the -j()- variable alternating with the corresponding value labels.

The changes have the appearance of being work in progress, and, when complete, will probably extend the capabilities of -reshape- in ways which will be useful to users like me, who frequently use -reshape- to produce tables with multiple columns of confidence intervals (see Section 4.4 of Newson, 2003). However, the selection of results seems currently to be unstable, implying that it is currently not a good idea for users to use these saved results in their own programs. Are these results likely to stabilize soon? If not, then it is probably a good idea for users to avoid using these results for the time being, and to make their own solutions. (I currently often use Ben Jann's very useful -labelsof- package, downloadable from SSC, when I want to store values and labels of -j()- variables when using -reshape wide-.)

Best wishes

Roger