Re: st: re: margeff/margins discrepancy

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: re: margeff/margins discrepancy
Date   Sun, 25 Apr 2010 14:34:35 -0500

At 10:35 AM 4/25/2010, Kit Baum wrote:
Joanne's problem arises because in the code for Bartus' margeff, version 2.2.0 of 20 Aug 2009 (on SSC),

the line
>       qui replace `touse'=1
> // Calculation of partial effects and standard errors

causes the information in the `touse' indicator, which points to the selected cases (78/2246 in the example Joanne gave) to be lost. Lower down, a calculation like

Good catch. I had noticed that margeff and margins tended to give results that were close but not quite the same. I attributed that to differences in their approaches. But, once you get the sample selection right, it appears the two give identical results.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu