Re: st: Dirifit / ddirifit: "maximum number of iterations exceeded"

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Dirifit / ddirifit: "maximum number of iterations exceeded"
Date   Sun, 25 Apr 2010 15:17:19 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Sun, 25/4/10, Mark Nichols wrote:
> I'd suggest you try linear models (ols).

Normally I am not so sceptical about using simple
methods (even though I co-wrote -dirifit-), but in
this case it is probably a bad idea. The reason is
that linear models don't do well near boundaries.
In most data that is not a big deal as most of the
observations are usually far enough away from the
boundary to sorta ignore that issue. However, Mark
explained explicitly that this is not the case in
his data. Anyhow, if Mark desides to use -regress-
he should definately specify the -robust- option,
as there is certainly going to be heteroskedasticity.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie