st: Dirifit / ddirifit: "maximum number of iterations exceeded"

From   Martin Gelter <mgelter@law.fordham.edu>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Dirifit / ddirifit: "maximum number of iterations exceeded"
Date   Sun, 25 Apr 2010 00:08:25 -0400

Hello,

my coauthor and I are trying to use dirifit to analyze patterns of cross-citations between different courts. In order to do so, we have transformed our dataset into a matrix showing what percentage of each courts' citations points to a particular other court.

Depending on which control variables we use, we sometimes do not get results at all (dirifit reports non-converging iterations until the user stops it). Sometimes, when we do get a result with dirifit, ddirifit will result in an error message saying "maximum number of iterations exceeded" (I typically set the maximum number up to 10000). We suspect that one of the problems could be that we have many values in the matrix that are very close to zero.

We would be grateful for any suggestions that help us to understand the reasons for these problems and how to best address them.

Thanks,
Martin