st: restricting Stata to behave as Small Stata

From   "Airey, David C" <david.airey@Vanderbilt.Edu>
Subject   st: restricting Stata to behave as Small Stata
Date   Fri, 23 Apr 2010 13:26:54 -0500

.

> How can I hobble Stata 11 to behave as Small Stata? I wanted to know if Small Stata will run all exercises for a class.

Thanks for the replies. Probably simplest is to buy Small Stata or request a review copy to ensure a course runs as expected if Small Stata is used.

BTW, I was surprised to find JMP 8 is cheap to students via <onthehub.com>. It costs $30 US for a 6 month rental and is not a reduced version. Depending on where you are and if you have a Stata Grad Plan, teaching with Small Stata is $49 for a 1 year license, or $99 per year for a 6 month Stata IC license.

If any on the list have substantive thoughts and experiences about teaching with either title, especially those who have experience teaching with BOTH, I'd be interested in hearing comparisons privately.

-Dave