st: brr and replicate weights specification

From   Ian Breunig <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: brr and replicate weights specification
Date   Wed, 21 Apr 2010 13:06:55 -0600

Dear Statalist,

I'm attempting to use svy: brr estimation.  My data set is the MEPS
data set supplied by AHRQ.  MEPS supplies a sampling weight and a
standard set of 128 BRR replicates (= 1 or 0).  They instruct to
create replicate weights as BRRwt = BRR * 2 * pweight  (where BRR is
an element of [1,128]) then use these as balanced replicate wieghts.

My question is,  when I declare my - svyset - statement should the
brrweight() option contain the BRR1wt calculated above or the 128
replicates that are equal to 1 or 0?  If the former one is correct do
I still need to declare my sampling weight in the  - svyset -?

The [SVY] manual does not explicitly explain this.  Does the brr
command create the BRRwt calculated above using the pweight and 128
replicates defined, or does it use the BRRwt calculated and supplied
by me and then ignore the sampling weight.

Lastly, I understand from the [SVY] documentation that I should ignore
the stratum and cluster variables supplied by MEPS when declaring -
svyset - when using - brr -.  Can you confirm this, or does it hurt to
put those in as well?

Thanks ahead of time,

Ian Breunig