Re: st: Output format

Subject   Re: st: Output format
Date   Tue, 20 Apr 2010 07:13:28 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Mon, 19/4/10, Steve Samuels wrote:
> It's also  a bad idea.  I sometimes encounter
> regression coefficients and standard errors where
> the first significant digit starts in the
> third decimal place or later..  The preference you
> request would render the output next to useless.

I disagree, that just means that either the analysist
scaled the variables wrong (e.g. added somones annual
income in euros (or dollars, or pounds, or ...)rather
than thousands of euros), or if the effect is to all
intends and purposes zero if variable is truely
correctly scaled.

Anyhow, this does not have to be a problem, even if
someone uses the wrong scaling, as you can round to
three _significant_ digits:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Significant_figures>

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis