Re: st: RE: RE: RE: AW: Decimal Precision with Destring

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: RE: AW: Decimal Precision with Destring
Date   Mon, 19 Apr 2010 19:35:42 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Mon, 19/4/10, Sutton, Bennett W. wrote:
> I know these are insanely small hairs to be splitting, but
> unfortunately this work is going into a publication and I
> need to make sure that the rounded result will be 4.5 and
> not 4.6.  (not just here but in many, many other
> calculations.)

If reproducability across programs is your aim, then your
best bet is probably to multiply your variables with some
multiple of 10 such that the largest value of each variable
has 9 digits after the decimal point, round the variables,
and than store these  variables as -long-s (with the
factors). Computers have much less trouble representing
integers, so this way you are more likely to get the same
results across computer programs.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie