AW: st: Fixed Effects inconsistency between Correlation and Coefficient Direction

From   "Martin Weiss" <>
To   <>
Subject   AW: st: Fixed Effects inconsistency between Correlation and Coefficient Direction
Date   Mon, 19 Apr 2010 18:41:34 +0200

Steve, is the single left quote in

input  id x
 `1     1

intentional? (Omitting it does lead to similar results, though...)

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
[] Im Auftrag von Steve Samuels
Gesendet: Montag, 19. April 2010 18:25
Betreff: Re: st: Fixed Effects inconsistency between Correlation and
Coefficient Direction

Here's a data set that qualitatively reproduces the phenomenon you
describe. Note the relatively large between-id variation compared to
within-id variation.  I don't understand your statement about dropping
data.  Please provide a reference.

**************************CODE BEGINS**************************
input  id x
 `1     1
  1     2
  1     3
  2     4
  2     5
  2     6
  3     7
  3     8
  3     9
set seed 123456
gen y = 10*id -x + rnormal(0,1)
xtset id
corr y x
xtreg y x, fe
xtreg y x, re
***************************CODE ENDS***************************

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 1:42 PM, MICHAEL ESPOSITO <>
> I have a question that I cannot seem to find an answer to. I am attempting
> to use the fixed effects model for research that I am conducting for my
> dissertation. My committee and I discovered that in certain circumstances
> the results do not seem logical. For instance, the correlation matrix
> indicates a positive relationship between two variables and then when we
> the Fixed Effects Linear Regression model using the same two variables,
> coefficient indicates a negative relationship.  I suspect that it may be
> related to something I read that stated that the fixed effects model has
> tendency to drop a significant amount of data in the independent variable
> when the data is perceived as having a high degree of randomness.
> The correlation matrix suggests a positive relationship .2663 and the
> coefficient correlation indicates a negative -1491.  When I run the same
> variables using the linear regression model with the Mixed Effects
> variation, all findings suggest a positive relationship. Does anyone know
> what could be causing this strange occurrence? Any advice or guidance you
> can provide would be most appreciated.

Steven Samuels
18 Cantine's Island
Saugerties NY 12477