st: Decimal Precision with Destring

From   "Sutton, Bennett W." <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Decimal Precision with Destring
Date   Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:24:39 -0400

Hello all,

I found one post on this from 5 years ago.  But no resolution to the issue was posted.  Wondering if anyone has since encountered and surmounted this problem:

I am insheet-ing a .csv file with decimal precision set at 15 places in excel.  But after insheeting into stata, the series are data type double, but only have precision to 10 places.  I'm working with hyperinflation countries and the lack of precision is producing some incorrect results in calculations.

I have also tried reading the data in as string variables which at least preserves the 15 digit precision, but destring-ing the data results in loss of precision again to 10 decimal places.

Any known work arounds?

Many thanks!

Ben