Re: st: Mata calls on Stata variables and macros

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Mata calls on Stata variables and macros
Date   Sun, 18 Apr 2010 08:32:31 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Sun, 18/4/10, Brad Jeffrey Hershbein wrote:
> I would like to solve a (cubic) polynomial equation where
> one of the coefficients of the polynomial is a variable in
> my dataset and the other coefficients are stored as scalars.
> That is, I want to solve for the roots of Ax^3 + Bx^2 + Cx +
> D = 0, where D is the variable Z in my dataset, and A, B,
> and C are stored in the scalars a1, b1, and c1,
> respectively. The values of A, B, C, and D are such that
> there is only one positive, real root in all cases, and I
> would like that root to be a new variable in the dataset.
> I know the Mata routine polyroots can find the roots of a
> polynomial, but I cannot figure out how to simultaneously
> pass the scalars and Z for polyroots to take as arguments,
> and how to return the positive real root as a new variable
> to Stata.

I am sure there are prettier solutions, but the example
below works.

*---------------------- begin example --------------------------
input z
scalar A = 1