RE: st: mata for-if-else

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: mata for-if-else
Date   Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:44:58 +0100

There are several mistakes here.
The syntax of -for- requires semi-colons.
Testing for equality requires == not =.
Mata has no equivalent of Stata's -if- qualifier.

Positively, this codes more congenially using ?:

for(i=1; i<1001; i++) {
	a[i]  = b[i] == 1 ? 2 : 3

Abhimanyu Arora

Thanks Sabrina, but unfortunately the problem persists.

If I understood correctly what you meant, I used the following:

for(i=1,i<1001,i++) {
a[i]=2 if b[i]==1
a[i]=3 if b[i]!=1

Sabrina Carrossa

I am not sure, but I guess you'd better use the "if qualifier" instead
of the "if-else" command.

On 14 April 2010 10:54, Abhimanyu Arora