st: AKAIKE formula

From   Paulo Regis <>
Subject   st: AKAIKE formula
Date   Tue, 13 Apr 2010 15:31:33 +0800

Dear statalisters.

I have a question about Akaike Info Criterion. Stata calculates aic
(using "estac ic" after the regression command) with the formula:

AIC = -2 * log (likelihood) + 2 * (k+1)  ;  k= number of parameters

In the linear regression model, this is similar to use the formula:

AIC = n*ln(RSS/n) +2*(k+1),   RSS = residuals SS

This was addressed before in this list by the following post:

However, my problem is that I want to compare OLS with IV models using
AKAIKE. The command "estac ic" is not available for -ivreg. Can I
compute the AIC by myself using the second formula? I have looked at
the Stata manuals and google and i was notable to get close to an

Kind Regards,

Paulo Regis