Re: st: HLM vs. Stata for multilevel modeling

From   John Antonakis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: HLM vs. Stata for multilevel modeling
Date   Mon, 12 Apr 2010 16:29:57 +0200

Hi:

For starters, HLM doesn't have a Hausman test....(and probably as a consequence, most HLMers happily estimate random effects models without first establishing whether the estimator is consistent, viv-à-vis the fixed-effects estimator). Also, I don't know whether HLM has iv estimation (à la xtivreg). Anyway, I don't know HLM well enough to critique but as a whole (nor it users), though I would guess that Stata has better routines, as well as tons of user-written add-on's--and possibly better users too! ;-) .....so rush to join the club.

Best,
J.

P.S. the following book might be very useful for you: Rabe-Hesketh, S., & Skrondal, A. (2008). Multilevel and Longitudinal Modeling Using Stata. College Station, TX: Stata Press.

Prof. John Antonakis, Associate Dean Faculty of Business and Economics
Department of Organizational Behavior
University of Lausanne
Internef #618
CH-1015 Lausanne-Dorigny