st: RE: HLM vs. Stata for multilevel modeling

From   "Russel Wildeman" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: HLM vs. Stata for multilevel modeling
Date   Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:52:13 +0200

You can go to the Centre for Multilevel Modelling at the University of
Bristol in the UK (just Google it). Comparisons were done across a range of
programmes using multilevel models.

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Rosie Chen
Sent: 12 April 2010 03:45 PM
Subject: st: HLM vs. Stata for multilevel modeling

Dear all,

    Do you know if any reference has compared the use of HLMand Stata for
multilevel modeling? I have been using HLM software for
multilevel analysis, but it seems to me that Stata has more functions than
HLM (e.g., calculating predicted probability). I wonder what are
the advantages and disadvantages of using HLM compared with Stata in
multilevel modeling?

    In addition, one of my studies will utilize discrete-time multilevel
analysis method (a combination of survival analysis and multilevel
modeling), so how do these two software compare in terms of accommodating
this analytic method? I will consider earning to use Stata for such an
analysis if Stata is good for this purpose.

    Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. Thank you very much!!