Re: st: reldist -- relative distributions

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: reldist -- relative distributions
Date   Mon, 12 Apr 2010 07:57:32 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Mon, 12/4/10, Tony wrote:
> I probably wasn't finished, not yet anyway. People
> sometimes show up at meetings and "proudly" annouce
> programs they hadn't finished. Not the first time
> this happened.

There is nothing wrong with that, it is entirely
consistent with the general nature of a scientific
conference: From the point of view of a presenter,
the most useful stuff to present is stuff that isn't
quite finished, as any comments you get from the
audience are most useful at that stage. These
comments are no longer as useful once the work is
finished and submitted (e.g. to the Stata Journal).

The consequence of this is that not everything that
is presented at a Stata Meeting will make it to SSC
or the Stata Journal, either because presenter had to
do other things (remember that writing Stata
programs is for most authors voluteer work), or
because they found that the method they proposed
contained a fundamental error (this happend to me
once). I realise that this can be frustrating for
someone who is looking for a solution to his problem,
thought he found the solution is such a presentation,
and is than dissapointed. But IMHO discouraging this
practice would be much worse, as discussing ideas is
the very reason why we hold these meetings.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen