st: -njc_stuff- updated on SSC

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: -njc_stuff- updated on SSC
Date   Sun, 11 Apr 2010 18:34:37 +0100

Thanks to the ever effervescent Kit Baum, the package -njc_stuff- has
been updated on SSC.

This is an odd package, which is just two help files

njc_stuff.hlp
njc_best_stuff.hlp

The underscores need not be typed in any but rather ancient Statas. Only
Stata 7 is needed for this package, although most of what it refers to
requires later versions.

The two help files in question contain lists of my Stata packages in the
public domain.
I originally produced them purely for personal use, then found myself
sending them to people who asked about my programs, and then decided to
make them public.

I have put my Stata stuff out in public view for some years, but things
can get a bit complicated. For example, something done properly by
StataCorp can easily make a package obsolete. Or I can get, as I think,
a better idea of how to do something, and make my own previous package
redundant. On the other hand, many people are still using older versions
of Stata, and zapping all but the most recent things might deprive some
of what would still be useful to them.

Then again, people sometimes miss the most recent things anyway. Over at
"A Stata mind" <http://enoriver.net/> someone kindly pushed my -ds3-
(SSC) a couple of days ago. But -ds3- was last touched in 2002, and
-findname- (SSC) released in March is a much better program.

For those, and related reasons, the package may be of help to users of
my Stata programs. To install or update use -ssc- or -adoupdate-.