Re: st: Structural Break Type Test with Fixed Effects IV and GMM

From   Dominic Soon <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Structural Break Type Test with Fixed Effects IV and GMM
Date   Sun, 11 Apr 2010 22:12:26 +0800

Yes, my mistake!

I'm intending to use three approaches, from -xtreg- , -xtivreg- and
-xtabond- (i.e. dynamic panel)  Unfortunately, I don't have any other
instrumental variables, let alone instrumental variables which impact
S "differentially" in the early and the late period.  In these
circumstances, would the following make sense?  SxL refers to S*L.

xtreg Y L S SxL, fe
xtivreg Y L (S SxL = L.S L.SxL)  /* Assume that lagged S does not
affect shocks in current Y */
xtabond Y L , lags(1) endogenous(L SxL)

(Other covariates are omitted for ease of discussion)

My problem is that clearly the idea that lagged SxL is probably going
to be a very poor instrument for SxL close to the beginning of the
"late" period. For instance, if "late" refers to 2001, lagged SxL will
be zero.